We have always seen Kedarnath temple images on the internet, and have wondered to visit there. It has always been compared as heaven on earth by most of the influential and YouTubers. So, now we will be going to know one of the aspects or famous rituals followed in the Kedarnath temple. Many people come here to donate their life-saving money, many donate their foods and many others donate clothes to people following sanyasis (Vairag) dharma. But the most important donation in the Kesäranta temple is Hair.
Hair is the best things you can donate at Kedarnath
- Yes, you heard it correct, many people visiting the Kedarnath temple donate hair as well.
- These rituals are not only followed by people of old ages, but also by a younger generation of society.
- But why hair. so, today in this blog we will be going to learn the reason behind the donation of hair at Kedarnath temple or at any temple in Hinduism.
Hair to a person imparts identity to that individual in terms of beauty. This invokes an individual feeling of “mine” which is ‘Ahamkara’.
As per the Hindu philosophy, “Antahkarana” is of four parts. They are :
- Citta and
As per the Samkhya philosophy, ‘Ahamkara’ should be removed in individual. That means Ahamkara must be subordinated when you want to approach the Mahadev.
It is a great saying in Sanskrit that:
“tIrthopavAsa kartavya sirasomundanAnicha pApAni yAntimandanatho yatah”.
Meaning of this shloka :
It is believed that ‘paap’ or the sin is always attached to the hair. If you are going on pilgrimage to a sacred place, you should clean-shave your head and then visit the temple.
To become eligible to visit a sacred place, one should sacrifice material beauty and false-ego by tonsure or shaving hair as an offering for Lord.
The reason why hair is donated to gods are :
- If anyone is in the state of Ahankara, then true “self” is not perceived. Ahankara in English is known as “EGO”.
- Ancient Gurus has narrated about ‘Ahankara’ and its influence on one’s attitude. They also directed many ways to get rid of Ahankara.
- One of the ways is to donate hair to god. This means surrendering “yourself” which is your identity to god.
- Ultimately you are surrendering Ahankara by donating your hair.
- When a human being is born, the initial hair of the baby is attached to “Poorva Janma Papa”.
- It is believed that to get rid of “Poorva Janma Papa”, the first tonsure of the baby head is done at sacred places and hair is offered to the Lord.
- If we observe the characteristic features of “Sanyasa Dharma”, the Shaven head is one of the characteristic features that indicate complete detachment of “Ahamkara and Moha” in life.
- Offering hair to Lord or Kesh daan (hair donation) is treated as a sacred Hindu ritual to give up the Moha to look good. Every individual who visits sacred place wants to become devout by offering hair to Lord.
If you liked the answer, please write “har har Mahadev”
Shop multiple Mahadev T-Shirt: Click here
Shop multiple Mahadev Mala: Click here
Shop multiple Mahadev Wallpaper: Click here
Shop multiple Mahadev Hand watch: Click here
Shop multiple Mahadev Kada: Click here
Shop multiple Mahadev Bracelet: Click here
Shop multiple Mahadev Tantra: Click here
Shop multiple Mahadev Lucky Stones: Click here
Shop other multiple Mahadev products: Click here